Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy Ireland Day!!!

I remember a specific day in college.  It was the weekend of our annual carnival on campus.  I had tons of homework to do.  I was talking to a friend and explaining that I needed to go out and play first because I was all excited and knew that once I had my fun I'd be able to come home and focus on getting my work done.  And it was true. When I really allowed myself to totally have fun, I'd be completely okay with going home to get work done.  My friend was surprised by this because for him, and I think for a lot of people, they use play as a reward...like...if I do my work, then I can go out and play.  This sometimes works...but I'm beginning to think that maybe this is the wrong approach for me.

I love all things Irish and St. Patrick's Day is one of my favorite.  Ideally, I'd like to be in Ireland, or at least here, surrounded by Irish music and people dancing jigs and generally having a good time.  But all morning I've been trying to motivate to do my chores.  I've also been dealing with some emotional stuff, but I think that's taken care of for the moment.  As I am beginning to hear from others out and having fun, I remembered that day back in college and I wonder if perhaps I've been too long putting work before play and maybe that's the problem.  Maybe my soul is just plain tired of working all the time.  Maybe I just need to be a hedonist for a bit....hmmmm....off to get my jig on.  ;)

No comments: